Brampton Wards 1 & 5 Regional Councillor Rowena Santos held the inaugural session of her Community Youth Council (CYC) on Saturday, December 10th. Youth attendees received a behind-the-scenes tour of City Hall, met with Mayor Brown in Council Chambers, and held interactive discussions about the needs in the community. Regional Councillor Gurpartap Toor, the youngest person to serve on Council at age 29, also stopped by to provide encouragement.
The CYC plans to meet throughout the year in various locations in the city to interact with city staff and find out about the services provided by the City of Brampton and Region of Peel. Youth participants are also being empowered to provide ongoing feedback to Councillor Santos as Youth Ambassadors when issues arise with the hope of preemptively addressing concerns, particularly for residents in Wards 1 & 5.
Students and youth between the ages of 15 and 29 can join the CYC by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will earn volunteer hours, participate in networking opportunities, receive mentorship, develop communication and leadership skills, and be part of an exciting community that helps move Brampton forward. In-person sessions will include:
- Tours of high-interest facilities, including the Sandalwood Transit Facility and new Fire & Emergency Services Headquarters
- Park and neighbourhood clean-ups
- Tree planting, measuring, monitoring, and maintenance
- Neighbourhood audits, notifications, and community meetings
- Learning how to delegate to Council and School Boards
MEDIA CONTACT: email@example.com